When I started this blog, I kept a running list here of the shows I was watching. (That was back when your options were cable and Netflix DVDs). I fell out of habit of updating the list and eventually took it down. But after a year of SO MUCH TV (2020!!!), I decided to resurrect the list with my most recent favorites.
The list is organized by streaming service (how the world has changed) with a little bit of commentary. My favorite network shows over the years are down at the bottom. (Just the REALLY good ones. I also watched a ton of crap, trust me!)
Last update: September 4th, 2021 (Updates from the past few months in Orange!)
I have been so busy watching other services, I have not spent a lot of time watching Netflix! These are my recent favs of note…most recent at the top.
- Unbelievable – I LOVE a good mystery/crime drama. (Even better with strong female leads!) And this one was very good. Highly recommend.
- Schitt’s Creek – I finally got past episode one (which I watched twice and hated) and am well in to Season 2. It grew on me.
- Outlander – I watched season 1 before my trip to Ireland last year (even though Scotland is not Ireland). The end of season 1 was traumatic but I have finally gotten past it and am caught up through Season 4. You will only like this is if you are in to sappy love stories.
- Broadchurch – I love British mystery series’. I think I want to move to the UK (despite all of the crime)
- Behind Her Eyes – a good mystery/thriller with a surprising twist! (which I will not give is away). Loved this.
- The Queen’s Gambit – good stuff
- Bridgerton – Bachelor quality cheese, but of course I liked it.
- Unorthodox – Must see mini-series about an orthodox Jewish woman who flees her community in Brooklyn to find her mother in Berlin. So good.
- The Witcher – supernatural Game of Throne’s-ish type thing (sort of, but not really). Loved. Can’t wait for Season 2.
- Sex Education – one of my favorites on Netflix! I know I said I wanted to move to the UK, but I might want to move to Wales instead (Gillian Andersen who has the most beautiful house in this show)
- The OA – “mystery drama with science fiction, supernatural, and fantasy elements”, hello! Loved it!
- Travelers – I like this time traveling sci fi show with Will from Will & Grace (who has literally not aged a day. Actually he has, he looks even better now!)
- Seven Seconds – Really good crime drama.
- And of course I watched and loved The Crown, Ozark, Stranger Things, Bloodline, House of Cards (although the last season was eh). I tried Peaky Blinders and twice and couldn’t get through episode 1.
- Handmaid’s Tale – caught up through Season 4. One of the best shows on television.
- Nomadland – a beautiful, quiet movie about grief and connection.
- Normal People – OMG this wrecked me. It was probably the best thing I have watched in a VERY VERY long time. Heartbreaking and amazing. Be prepared to have your heart hurt, but watch it.
- Miss America – based on the true story of the ERA movement in the 1970s. Really good!
- Little Fires Everywhere – I didn’t actually love this. It was meh.
- Hellstrom – supernatural good vs evil, demon stuff. Not a must-see but if you are into this sort of thing and you need something to watch on Hulu, you could check it out.
- A Teacher – this is what REALLY happens when a high school teacher seduces her student. Not amazing but I watched it. It was sad actually. It’s really not good to seduce and sleep with your students.
- Run – entertaining, creepy movie about an overbearing mother
- Flack – British “dramedy” about an over-the-top PR agency starring Ana Paquin (From True Blood) who completely annoyed me on that series but she is less annoying in this one. I thought episode 1 was a bit much but it grew on me. (Just started season 2)
- The Missing – Decent British crime drama (they are so good at these!). I liked season 1 and will go back and watch season 2!
- Underground Railroad – another really hard to watch but very well done series about racism and slavery. It’s fiction/fantasy but it is good art that makes you feel what the characters are feeling. Highly recommend but not if you are in the mood for a pick me up!
- Tell Me Your Secrets – psychological, serial killer stuff. Good TV. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
- Them – very disturbing thriller based on an extreme satire of racism in the 1960s. Creepy and upsetting but very good.
- The Sound of Metal (movie) – soooo good. Watch it!
- The Wilds – a bunch of teenagers get stranded on an island when their plane crashes, but so much more. Watch it!
- The Expanse -Good sci fi. (Which is always about the people…they just happen to be in space.) I liked a lot the first few seasons. It got old by Season 5 but I will watch season 6 if it happens.
- Hunters -a mix of a satire on a 1970’s crime show and a serious holocaust movie (really). Josh Radnor is in it. I didn’t love it at first but then it got really good. Give it a chance.
- The Boys -Super hero show but so much more. Second season was a bit much (unnecessarily raunchy and gory IMHO) but first season was amazing.
- Utopia – this was a really weird conspiracy thriller, violent (and sometimes disturbing) but entertaining. My kind of weird (although sometimes too weird)
- The Fall – “gripping psychological thriller” with Gillian Andersen and Jamie Dornan- this is very old but I LOVED it! A must watch if you haven’t (and like this stuff)
- Hanna – “equal parts high concept thriller and coming of age drama” Joel Kinnaman is in it (from The Killing). I really liked it.
- Mosquito Coast – I wasn’t planning to go past episode 2 because I got bored but I found myself curious about what was going to happen to Justin Theroux and his fam so I went back to it. I made it through to the end, but not sure it was worth it. Interesting fact – the screenplay was modified for TV by a former student of mine from when I used to teach in my early 20s (which I learned when his name flashed on the screen. Cool.)
- Ted Lasso – a comedy with a HUGE heart. I might watch this again. Worth signing up for Apple TV+ if you don’t have it. I promise!
- The Morning Show – also very good. Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Reese Witherspoon – that one.
- Dickenson – a super cute, kind of odd, updated period comedy/drama about Emily Dickenson. Hard to explain but its awesome
- Home Before Dark – I LOVED this cute mystery series (based on a true story) about a young girl who solves a crime!
- Little Voice– Sarah Bareilles wrote all of the music for this show. The show was cute, but I LOVE the soundtrack which became my pandemic favorite cooking music (my Spotify most listened to in 2020)
- For All Mankind – an alternative version of history where Russia beats us to the moon. Worth watching! (I will watch anything starring Joel Kinnaman)
- Palmer – this is a movie starring Justin Timberlake and an adorable boy/girl and it was really cute
- Tehran – Entertaining Israeli spy thriller
- The Nevers – unique, feminist, sci-fi period drama with a sense of humor. It was sometimes confusing but also fascinating (watch the behind the scenes and stick with it until episode 6 where things are explained)
- Murder at White House Farm – British true crime. Liked it.
- Farrow vs Allen – hard to like Woody Allen after watching this. It makes a good case.
- Hacks – hilarious and heartwarming.
- The Little Things (movie) – Jared Leto deserves another Oscar for making me think he is repulsive.
- Mare of Easttown – This is as good as they say it is! Mystery, drama, great characters.
- Succession –a satire about a dysfunctional family business “empire”. Funny and smart. A MUST-WATCH. Season 3 is coming in the Fall of 2021 and I can not wait!
- The Vow – documentary about a sex cult near my hometown. Amazing and disturbing.
- The Watchmen – One of my favorite shows on HBO. Weird but good.
- Our Boys – Israeli series based on the true events which led to the outbreak of war in Gaza. Really really good!
- The Undoing – Entertaining
- The Flight Attendant – didn’t love. Kind of couldn’t wait for it to end.
- Some of my older favs on HBO in case you live under a rock and haven’t seen any of them
- The Newsroom
- Game of Thrones
- In Treatment
- The Leftovers
- True Detective
- Big Love
- The Wire
- House of Lies
- Boardwalk Empire
- True Blood
- Silicon Valley
I had a one month trial of Paramount+ to watch the Harry/Meghan/Oprah interview. To maximize my free investment, I watched only Paramount+ for a month. I wouldn’t tell you to sign up for Paramount+ to watch any of these, but if you have access to it, here is what I watched.
- The Real World New York: Homecoming – The very first Real World cast from NYC (in 1992) reunited in their original loft to hang out and shoot the shit. If you watched the original, this was cool to watch. It was like being part of a big hug. They turned out to be really good people (most of them).
- The Stand – loved this book. This is a remake of an earlier mini-series that I only vaguely remember. This one has Whoopi Goldberg and the bad vampire from True Blood (and Pretty Little Lies). Worth a watch if you liked the book.
- Interrogation – true crime show that was designed as a choose-your-adventure type series that instructed you to watch the episodes in any order (except the first and the last which needed to be first and list). A cool concept and I liked the show!
- Tell Me A Story – This show was so bad, but I could not stop watching. It was a cheesy mystery type of show that weaved in themes from three fairy tales. The way they weaved the fairy tales in was very cool. The writing, not good. Still, I watched BOTH seasons.
These are all older favs. No Showtime since I dropped cable. You might be able to watch some of them on Amazon Prime?
- The Affair – the final scene of this finale hit me hard (in a good way). I loved this show…
- Masters of Sex- so good
- Homeland – it got a little tired as the seasons went on but I was glad I saw it through
- SMILF – this only had one season but I loved it!
- Dexter– a serial killer with a heart. A must watch.
- Ray Donovan
- Older Network Stuff
You have likely heard of most of these and watched them. If you missed any of them, this is your reminder to go find them and watch them now!
- Better Things – You may not have heard of this one but I love love love it. Especially for women my age (50s) and probably even more so for mothers and definitely for mothers my age in LA (of which I know ZERO). Check it out if you are one of these people.
- The Walking Dead – I think this is still on but I can’t watch it without cable (I miss it.)
- The Americans
- Mr. Robot
- New Girl
- Mad Men
- Downton Abbey
- Parks & Recreation
- Breaking Bad
- Battlestar Galactica
- Friday Night Lights
- Saving Grace
- My So-Called Life